Sep 19, 2021
Avila University’s Intensive Language and Culture Program (ILCP) is a non-degree program that offers four levels for each language skill in English as a Second Language (ESL). The language skills are: Speaking & Listening, Reading & Vocabulary, Grammar, and Writing.
Students are placed in the appropriate level based on test scores from a placement exam, which is administered prior to each semester, or by successfully passing the previous level.
The ILCP level IV courses carry academic credit for ILCP students only. A series of special topics courses (EL 180 , EL 280 , EL 380 , and EL 480 ) are also available for academic credit.
Intensive Language and Culture Program Mission Statement
The Intensive Language and Cultural Program seeks to prepare international students for degree-seeking programs and to foster diversity and cultural awareness in the Avila community.
Intensive Language and Culture Program Goals
- Provide classroom settings which give international students a positive environment to learn English, American culture, and the United States educational system.
- Partner with other constituencies in enhancing the social, spiritual, and educational development of international students.
- Represent and advocate for the needs of international students within Avila and the greater Kansas City community.
- Expand the diversity of Avila’s student population by recruiting international students for the Avila community.
- Increase cultural awareness in the Avila community by providing opportunities for cross-cultural learning between students from different countries.
The goal of the ILCP/ESL program is to equip international students with the English needed for daily and academic life in the United States. The ILCP students will meet the following program objectives:
Acquire an understanding of the United States educational system. (All EL courses)
Demonstrate an understanding of the grammatical structure of the English language. (EL 081 , EL 082 , EL 083 , EL 184 )
Demonstrate the English speaking and listening skills necessary for both daily and academic life. (EL 031 , EL 032 , EL 061 , EL 062 , EL 063 , EL 164 )
Demonstrate students’ English writing ability through the writing process and various rhetorical modes. (EL 055 , EL 056 , EL 091 , EL 092 , EL 093 , EL 194 )
Demonstrate the English reading and vocabulary skills needed to function at an academic level. (EL 071 , EL 072 , EL 073 , EL 174 )
- The outcomes for the Intensive Language and Culture Program are assessed through a combination of course key assessments such as quizzes, examinations, oral presentations, and written assignments.
- Program outcomes are also assessed through multiple TOEFL test performances.
See program course offerings under the “EL” course descriptions.